Thursday 2 February 2012

What are you selling?

This is one question I always ask, each time I see a photo or a message posted on my wall on Face book. Whether you believe it or not, like or unlike it, the truth is, we are all selling something. One common mistake I observed and that forms the basis for this write up is that, majority of people are not able to articulate or communicate in writing or focus on what they really want to sell. Knowing what you want to sell is one thing, being autocratic or diplomatic or democratic about how you sell it, is another thing.  Are you selling a physical product/service or a lifestyle? It is fast becoming a known fact that, the best way to sell a brand is not by product or service but by selling a lifestyle. Products and services can easily be replaced but Lifestyle is not that easy to change.
There is a particular brand without mentioning name that is known for Innovation, excellence; I know of one brand that is synonymous with ‘open happiness’ and another brand that is ‘everywhere’. These brands do not just sell physical products and services, they sell their lifestyles.
Lifestyle speaks louder than words. Lifestyle has a voice that commands respect. Lifestyle has a lot to do with the look and feel of a brand. A company’s strategy and packaging/repackaging that is properly articulated and executed attracts the right target audiences but what retains your customers (whether internal or external) is authentic lifestyle.
Lifestyle does not work alone. It is like the roof of a building. The roof requires firm structures and right foundation. The foundation of any brand is the message that it conveys. The message builds the structures. Any message has a source. Ironically, the source is the brand while the building that we all refer to as the brand is really the brand agent. For example, the lay-person will refer to me as a personal brand but ironically, I am a brand agent. My job is a platform of expression the same way as my writing skills. My citizenship is not of this world, my citizenship is in heaven but I express or sell heavenly values in my job and in whatever I lay my hands upon to do. These values are integrity, accessibility, continuous learning and mutual respect. And because I am committed to my kingdom values and I make sacrifices for efficient execution of these values and I do it willingly from my heart without any force or manipulation from any one, I get a special reward from God(my Chief Brand) in addition to what I receive from my paid employment. It is very clear and simple what I sell but what are you selling?

No comments:

Post a Comment